Home Insurance Coverage C: Contents Insurance

Contents Coverage – For Your Personal Belongings


Contents insurance, usually a part of most homeowners’ policies, covers the physical possessions in your home in case of damage, theft, or vandalism.

Contents coverage also insures your possessions when they are removed from the home, like the iPod you take to the gym or the golf clubs in your trunk. All of the items owned by you are considered property by an insurance adjuster, providing coverage even when your valuables are not physically on your property.

What Does Contents Insurance Cover?

The most popular type of home insurance, comprehensive coverage, protects your belongings, as well as the building, from common perils such as fire, theft, vandalism, and more. Less popular is broad form coverage, which only protects your belongings from a shorter list of named perils.

The following table represents common items and ranges of contents coverage offered by insurers in Ontario. Contents coverage and protection limits will differ from policy to policy, separate endorsements are available to increase coverage limits oh high-value items such as jewelry and art. Be sure to speak with a broker for complete details and sound advice that makes the most sense for your lifestyle.

Home Insurance Contents Coverage
Contents Coverage (Personal Property) Coverage Amount1
Personal Property Incl. Replacement Cost The cost to fully replace your personal property 70% – 80% of Dwelling Building Coverage
Property of a Student Personal property of student attending school, college, or university, while temporarily living away from home. $2,500 – $20,000
Personal Property in Nursing Home Personal property belonging to you or a parent who is dependent on you or your spouse, while they live in a nursing home. $5,000 – $20,000
Property Stored in Warehouse Your personal belongings stored in a storage container or mini-warehouse. Up to 30 days/$5,000
Special Limits of Insurance2
Animals, Birds, & Fish $1,000 – $3,000
Auto Parts $1,000 – $2,500
Bicycles including parts, equipment, and accessories $1,000 – $3,000
Boats $1,000 – $6,000
Business Property (on premises) $2,000 – $10,000
Collectable (Sports, etc.) Cards & Comic books $2,000 – $10,000
Computer Software $1,000 – $10,000
Garden Tractors Garden-type tractors, self-propelled lawn mowers, and snow removal equipment, including attachments & accessories $5,000 – $15,000
Golf Carts $5,000 – $10,000
Golf Clubs $3,000 – Coverage C
(Contents) limit
Jewellery, Watches, Gems and Furs $2,000 – $25,000
Money/Bullion $500 – $1,000
Numismatic Property (Coin or Banknote Collections) $500 – $5,000
Philatelic Property (Stamp collections) $500 – $5,000
Securities $2,000 – $10,000
Trailers $1,000 – $2,000

1The range of coverage amounts offered amongst Ontario insurers.
2Contents with special coverage limits. Personal Articles floaters are available to increase limits for these items.

In general, your policy will be priced according to an evaluation by your insurance adjuster, but any changes to your home’s interior or the possessions you own may require a policy adjustment. Any significant purchase, like expensive jewelry or a new computer, should be reported to your insurance company to be sure proper protection is maintained.

Be sure to speak with a broker for complete details on contents coverage options in Ontario.

See All Coverage Options

List of all home insurance coverage options

Learn more about what's covered by home insurance in Ontario.

Contents Coverage as a Tenant

While property or contents insurance is usually included in most homeowners’ policies, it is not always part of a tenants or renters policy. Tenant insurance, required by many landlords, provides a safety net in case you cause damage to the property you are renting. Most tenant policies include the basics, like water damage, theft, fire, and vandalism, but many do not automatically include your possessions.

Even if you think your belongings are not valuable enough to warrant additional coverage, the expense of replacing everything you own could add up to thousands of dollars quickly. A few extra dollars a month on your tenant/renter’s policy today could mean big savings tomorrow should something happen to your apartment or other rented dwelling.

Making sure your possessions are protected is as easy as one phone call. If you have any questions about home insurance or contents insurance, the insurance experts at Mitchell & Whale would be pleased to help you. Feel free to call us at 1-800-731-2228 or email us at info@mitchellwhale.com.

FREE Online Quotes For All Your Insurance Needs! Get a Quote