Peace of Mind at Affordable Rates

Like all vehicles driven on the road, your recreational vehicle must be insured in Ontario. As you may have spent considerably more on your home on wheels than your car, giving some further thought to your RV insurance is worthwhile.

Call us today to see how we can help you! 1.800.731.2228

Definition of an RV or Motor Home

For insurance purposes, an RV (recreational vehicle) is defined as a vehicle that combines transportation and living quarters within a single unit. If the weight of your RV or motorhome exceeds 11,000 kgs (24,250 lbs), a special class of driver’s license is required. If, however, you’re towing a travel trailer, a folding tent trailer, or driving a truck camper (which is detachable) behind your own vehicle, ask about adding trailer coverage to your existing auto insurance policy.

Mandatory Insurance Coverage

Like your car or other vehicle, if you own a motor home, you are required by law to insure it. Insurance coverage is required for the following:

  • Third Party Liability: covers you when if you are found to be legally liable for injuries to another person or for damage to another person’s property.
  • Property Damage: this coverage pays for repairs to your vehicle and its contents when someone else causes damage to it.
  • Uninsured Driver: covers you if you are injured or killed by an uninsured driver who is found liable for the accident.
  • Accident Benefits: cover medical costs and rehab, loss of income due to disability or death, and funeral expenses.

Options to Consider

  • Amount of Coverage: Many people choose to carry greater coverage than the minimums required by law to better protect themselves from financial risk in case they are involved in an accident.
  • Collision: This coverage pays for damage to your vehicle caused by a collision or by some sort of upset, like flipping over.
  • Comprehensive: This coverage pays for damage to your RV caused by something other than a collision, such as a fire, theft, vandalism, storm damage, etc.
  • Add On or Stand-Alone Policy: You may be able to add insurance for these types of recreational vehicles to your auto policy, although a claim with one vehicle could affect the insurance for both vehicles on the same policy. On the other hand, a separate stand-alone policy with the same insurer may qualify you for multi-policy discounts.
  • Replacement Cost Option: Definitely worth considering depending on the value of your RV.
  • Emergency Vacation Expenses: Might be needed if you cannot continue to stay in your motorhome.

Full Time Coverage for the RV Lifestyle

Living the RV lifestyle does not need to be confined to vacations or weekend activity. If you have decided to take your show on the road living full time in your recreational vehicle, you should explore RV specialty insurance. A life on the road means that you will not be able to fall back on your homeowner’s insurance policy in the event something happens to your property. So you need to make sure that you have adequate protection for the higher liability risk you face due to increased time on the road.


If you have any questions about RV insurance or would like a no-obligation quote, please call Mitchell & Whale Insurance Brokers at 1-800-731-2228 or email us at We’d be happy to help!