If you love to ride your motorcycle, you need to make sure you have the right kind of motorcycle insurance to protect yourself in case you are involved in an accident. You can insure your motorcycle (or scooter) on a “standalone” policy or add motorcycle insurance to your current auto insurance policy.
Motorcycle owners living in Canada must carry insurance. It is against the law not to have your motorcycle covered by at least liability insurance. Standard motorcycle insurance policies cover:
• Third-party liability,
• Accident benefits and
• Uninsured automobile coverage.
Third party coverage pays for damages/losses caused by your negligence; accident benefits pay for injuries suffered by you in an accident (regardless of who is at fault) and uninsured auto coverage covers your expenses if you are injured by an uninsured motorist or are the victim of a hit-and-run accident.
Optional coverage offered to Canadian motorcyclists includes damage or loss coverage (includes comprehensive, all perils, specified perils and collision). You can buy combinations of these policies to protect you against the damage/loss of your scooter or motorcycle caused by theft, fire and other unpredictable events.
Motorcyclists can now choose to:
• cover their protective equipment (goggles, helmets, clothing),
• receive replacement costs for accessories (windshields, saddlebags, side cars), and
• get the actual cash value for personal effects used while riding, in addition to transported items.
• Training Course: You may be able to lower your insurance premiums by enrolling in a motorcycle training course.
• Shop around! Ask your broker to shop around for you to get the best motorcycle insurance rates possible. Insurance brokers provide independent, expert advice, and do the shopping for their clients since they represent a number of different insurance companies. They also support their clients and act as advocates for them when finding best rates or when a claim occurs.
• Discounts: Ask about any discounts available, such as discounts for being a senior citizen, “good driver” discounts, etc.
• Multi-Policy Discount: Combine your motorcycle insurance with a home or auto policy provided by the same insurer.
• Higher Deductible: Consider raising your deductible to save on premium payments if it meets with your desired coverage level and usage.
As insurance brokers who represent more than 15 different insurance companies, Mitchell & Whale would be happy to find the best motorcycle insurance deals for you. For a no obligation quote, give us a call at 1-800-731-2228 or email us at email@example.com.