Essential Coverage for Hair Stylists/Beauty Professionals in Ontario
Working as a beauty professional means working intimately with clients in an industry known for its extremely subjective outcomes. Not all your clients are going to be happy with your work, and some may even seek compensation in a court of law. As a result, being a beauty professional comes with a considerable amount of liability risk…perhaps even more than you might have anticipated.
Many hair stylists and barbers rent a chair at a salon, or do work on the side that entails going to clients’ homes, and that means there is a high probability that you are not covered by a particular salon’s insurance policy. So whether you are an employee, a freelancer or the owner of the salon itself, it is essential that you make sure you have the kind of coverage necessary to limit your exposure to potential lawsuits and judgments.
With that in mind, we offer a full spectrum of policies needed to protect your career as a:
- Hair Stylist
- Beauty Professional
- Salon Owner
- Nail Technician
- Piercing Technician
- Microblading Technician
- Laser Hair Removal Technician
The Beauty Professional Policy Package
As you guide your clients to ever higher levels of excellence in personal grooming and style, you could be exposed to a variety of lawsuits and claims brought on by any number of injuries and accidents that can happen when using so many chemicals and sharp objects, the basic tools of the beauty industry.
However well-meaning the advice you give and the techniques you employ, mistakes can be made. And with beauty industry clients, that could potentially mean harming their career, or destroying that special event, such as their wedding day. That’s why it’s important to make sure you are suitably protected from any number of possible grievances that could lead to a lawsuit.
Commercial General Liability (CGL) is essential protection for potential lawsuits arising from bodily injury or property damage sustained by a client or a host.
- Injury to a client on your, or their, premises such as slipping on those easily swept but ultimately smooth, and frequently wet, salon floors….or simply tripping on the salon chair footrest
- Damage to clients’ property caused by accidents, like getting hair dye on a leather jacket
- Lawsuits arising from burns and cuts sustained by clients while using salon amenities such as coffee machines and waiting areas
- Liability to your landlord, if you are renting space, for damage to the property you occupy (Tenant’s Legal Liability coverage)
Sometimes referred to as Errors and Omissions (E&O), this is important protection against being found legally responsible for accidents or oversights that result in damages to your client (proven or otherwise).
- Lawsuits brought on by clients who suffer serious injury and scarring due to harsh chemicals or scalp lacerations as a result of your beauty recommendations and actions
- Lawsuits filed against your salon resulting from hair loss, eye irritations and even burns and allergic reactions sustained after the client used products created or used by your salon
- Lawsuits arising from bad advice or poor judgment (real or perceived) on your part that causes the client embarrassment or reputational harm
With many hair salons located on the ground floor of an office building, this is common sense protection for your office, salon floor and its equipment.
- Coverage for theft, fire and water damage to the building or unit, if you own them
- Similar protection for improvements/additions to a rented space, including salon chairs, sinks and décor
- Protection for business assets like computers, scissors and brushes
- Business interruption insurance to reimburse you for lost revenues if you have to close after a fire, flood or break-in.
If your business or freelance operation relies on a website or other systems to attract and manage clients, it may be vulnerable to a cyber attack. Adding cyber coverage to your policy is a wise decision, protecting you against privacy breaches or other cyber crime that interrupts your business operations, leading to loss of income, expensive fixes or ransomware demands.
- Cyber crimes such as phishing attacks, ransomware, funds transfer and other malware
- Data breaches that expose client information such as passwords and credit card information
Call Now and Speak With a Business Insurance Expert. Every Beauty Professional’s circumstances are unique and require different levels of coverage. To make sure your career and business are completely protected, call Mitchell & Whale Insurance Brokers at 1-800-731-2228 for free advice and no-obligation quotes.