RV and Motor Home Insurance

If your ideal escape involves an RV or motor home, you can relax even more knowing you are well protected with recreational vehicle insurance. Like all vehicles driven on the road, you have to have it insured but you may have spent considerably more on your ‘home on wheels’ than your car, and you’ll probably spend more time in it too. That’s why giving some further thought to your RV insurance is worthwhile.

Definition of an RV or Motor Home

For insurance purposes, an RV (recreational vehicle) or motor home is defined as a vehicle that combines transportation and living quarters within a single unit. If the weight of the RV or motor home exceeds 11,000 kgs (24,250 lbs), a special class of driver’s license is required. If instead you are towing a travel trailer, a folding tent trailer or driving a truck camper (which is detachable), none of these require a special license and would be eligible for vacation trailer insurance.

Mandatory Insurance Coverage

Like your car or other vehicle, if you own a motor home, you are required by law to insure it. Insurance coverage is required for the following:

  • Third Party Liability: covers you when if you are found to be legally liable for injuries to another person or for damage to another person’s property.
  • Property Damage: this coverage pays for repairs to your vehicle and its contents when someone else causes damage to it.
  • Uninsured Driver: covers you if you are injured or killed by an uninsured driver who is found liable for the accident.
  • Accident Benefits: cover medical costs and rehab, loss of income due to disability or death, and funeral expenses.

Options to Consider

  • Amount of Coverage: Many people choose to carry greater coverage than the minimums required by law to better protect themselves from financial risk in case they are involved in an accident.
  • Collision: This coverage pays for damage to your vehicle caused by a collision or by some sort of upset, like flipping over.
  • Comprehensive: This coverage pays for damage to your RV caused by something other than a collision, such as a fire, theft, vandalism, storm damage, etc.
  • Add On or Stand-Alone Policy: You may be able to add insurance for these types of recreational vehicles to your auto policy, although a claim with one vehicle could affect the insurance for both vehicles on the same policy. On the other hand, a separate stand-alone policy with the same insurer may qualify you for multi-policy discounts.
  • Replacement Cost Option: Definitely worth considering depending on the value of your RV.
  • Emergency Vacation Expenses: Might be needed if you cannot continue to stay in your motor home.


If you have any questions about RV insurance or would like a no-obligation quote, please call Mitchell & Whale Insurance Brokers at 1-800-731-2228 or email us at info@mitchellwhale.com. We’d be happy to help!

Comments are closed.